Friday, October 30, 2015

Halloween 2015: Movies suggestion list!

Hello, it's me. Halloween is but a day away and despite the fact that I don't write and review much (if ever) I felt compelled to write up a small list of movie suggestions!

These are movies I've seen through out this year and were memorable in one way or another. I know almost everyone keeps tradition by watching Hocus Pocus but if you wanted something new (and you share my same tastes) you might like this list.
First off!
Pee Mak (2013) is a Thai horror/romance/comedy. Directed by Banjong Pisanthanaku, this movie is an adaptation of a Thailand folklore tale. this tale revolves around Pee Mak, a soldier who struggles to come back home to his wife and unborn child, only to find things are not as he remembered. I don't want to give too much away, but there Is definitely something off about Nak, Pee Maks wife. What I love about this movie is it has a little bit of everything; comedy, jump scares and touching moments that are sure to warm your heart. My only critique is that some of the jokes don't translate very well into English but what can you do?

Take a look at the trailer if you're still not convinced to give this movie a chance:



 
 
Next on my list is... REC 3
 
[REC] 3 Genesis (2012), is a Spanish movie directed by Paco Plaza. This is the third installment of the REC franchise. However, if you've seen the other REC movies I would advise you to watch it pretending it's not related to the first two movies. Why? Because this movie really does break away from what made the first two REC movies so popular; the feeling of watching documentary footage. It takes place at a wedding where shit starts to hit the fan once the grooms uncle starts acting savagely due to a strange "illness" he unknowingly contracted.
 If you look up ratings on this movie  you'll find it harshly rated since it is so different from the first two REC's. It's more of a B horror movie with unexpected bits of comedy thrown in the mix but the plot is pretty fast paced and soulful if you ask me. and if you're into gore like me, you'll most definitely enjoy it. 
 
 
This next one isn't exactly horror, but anyone who enjoys horror movies will be able to appreciate it.

What we Do In The Shadows (2014) is a New Zealand mockumentary written and directed (also starring) by Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, about the secret lives of vampires. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW. I'll admit when someone had recommended it to me I was a little more than skeptical (I'm not a very big fan of vampires). But I am glad I watched it! It's very unique and original aside from hilarious. You get to watch vampires live as flat mates going through similar struggles of mundane life. I know you will definitely not regret watching this! Check out the trailer and see for yourself!
 


 
 
 
Insidious: Chapter 3 (2015), directed by Leigh Whanelle, this movie is a prequel to the other Insidious movies. It takes place before the haunting of the beloved Lambert family, and focuses more on the psychic Elise Rainer who is contacted by a young girl trying to contact her dead mother. Of course, instead of her dead mother she encounters a more dangerous entity and trouble unravels around her.
Say what you will about ghost movies but I feel this trilogy revived ghost movies for me. If only for the reason that they really knew how to play with timing, tone and atmosphere. After the first two movies I didn't think there was much else to offer but I was pretty surprised to have enjoyed the movie as much as I did.
 
 
and finally...

The Cabin in the Woods (2012), directed by Drew Goddard, is an American horror comedy movie. It starts out with what seems like your typical slasher film of horny wild teenagers in the woods, but takes a seriously different turn. You know that saying ' don't judge a book by its cover'? Well that definitely applies here. Although this movie does incorporate many horror movie clich├ęs we all know ( and have come to love), for all you horror movie lovers, that is exactly part of what makes this movie so great. 



Take a look at the trailer!




And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the end of my list. Keep in mind I have listed these movies in no specific order. If you do happen to watch any or all of these movies let me know what you think. I hope you have a spooktacular Halloween~